One of the biggest challenges for new players (or old players new to the beta) is what their army is generally going to consist of. This was a slightly easier task in the alpha with the fewer quantity of units available. The units can vary only slightly in their utility for a variety of tasks, and finding the fit that works best for you can be tricky, especially when you add in the sheer quantity of gear that can also make subtle adjustments. This post is second in a series where I will discuss what I've currently got in my primary army and why. Hopefully this will help people learn the mindset needed to build a coherent and effective army more quickly.
I've stopped using any armies specifically for levelling (read why here), which has made…Read more >
Important note: While this article is about specializations it should be noted that you don't actually need specs to win a match. Specializations are available options, not power upgrades.
This is bound to be a contentious subject, but I'm not one to shy away from controversy. So with that said, let's just wade in.
You should level
- Your first Zwei
- Your first Repeater
You should buy:
- ...Nothing before you hit level 10. (And before you buy ANYTHING, blog:Muhlakai/Skills you need to learn first in TEC read this.)
- No more than one spec at a time
- A Cataphract
- Maybe a second 'phract
- Anything you really want to try after you hit level 20 or so.
To start with, don't do what I did. I decided I would try to level everything just for the experience of it. I figu…
Read more >
So it turns out that the Ember Isles do exist... kinda. There's a street in Houston, Texas (USA) called Ember Isles Ln. That's apparently the only Ember Isles that Google can find.
...and March 15, 2015 I managed to pay it a visit!
Some notes, as I posted them in the forum:
- Ember Isles Lane is in a HUGE high-end gated community. It's also at the far back of the community. While there's an exit not too far away, getting there was literally about 20 turns in. I actually had to get a permit from the gate guard just to enter, too.
- The community has ridiculously nice houses, a few gigantic ponds, etc. There might even be a golf course in there somewhere. Probably $1-2 million homes.
- The street is SHORT. Maybe 5 houses, tops.
- The street signs are TALL…
One of the biggest challenges for new players (or old players new to the beta) is what their army is generally going to consist of. This was a slightly easier task in the alpha with the fewer quantity of units available. The units can vary only slightly in their utility for a variety of tasks, and finding the fit that works best for you can be tricky, especially when you add in the sheer quantity of gear that can also make subtle adjustments. This post is first in a series where I will discuss what I've currently got in my primary army and why. Hopefully this will help people learn the mindset needed to build a coherent and effective army more quickly.
Right now I've really only got one army setup that I think of as "my" army. It's not the …Read more >
Instead of trying to remember where in the forums I started this idea, I figured I'd just make it a blog post, because then I can always find them.
Annathema is a ridiculously good player who started in the public alpha. She's notorious for running ranged-heavy armies and is scary good at TEC.
- Annathema has two speeds: kill pugs and kill all the things. Pity there's no selector switch and she's stuck on "kill all."
- The Ember Conflict's story is really about a world where we ask ourselves, "what if Annathema wasn't here to completely annihilate any army that opposed her?"
- If you think a unit died but Annathema wasn't close enough to kill it you're wrong. Check the trees.
- Diana, goddess of the Hunt, wishes she could be one of the kids cool enough…
Read more >
I wanted to be able to see all the units' stats in one place. Until now there hasn't been a single place to see all the stats except in your head. Each unit's numbers were locked away in separate pages, like they would mate like bunnies if left together.
...but no more!
This is a work in progress. As numbers are changed, added, or updated I'll try to stay on top of this.
- As of this writing we don't have hard numbers on most of the stats. We've been told we'll get them, and I believe that's true. In the mean time we have dot stats. Officially they don't have any name, but the stats are represented with dots. Thus, dot stats. When we get actual numbers I'll try to update this table.
- Most of the stats are self-explanatory. Only a few warrant disc…
Read more >
The Ember Conflict can be a bit of a culture shock for new players. It could be easy for a new cadet to assume that TEC lacks depth or options for commanders. After all,
- Grizzled RTS vets might be taken aback by the lack of base building.
- Turn-based strategy fans might wonder why there's no tech tree.
- MOBA warriors might assume that the wide open army construction means that you won't need to specialize in the use of one unit or another.
- FPS addicts might assume that "real-time strategy" means that if you'll either be bored or bad at the game if you don't practice a specific keyboard build sequence until your fingers look like you have twitch problems.
...and most tablet gamers are going to assume, as has been true in the past, that RTS on a mo…
Read more >